IASTM is a modern manual therapy technique used to treat individuals diagnosed with soft tissue abnormalities. It is performed with ergonomically designed instruments that detect and treat fascial (connective tissue) restrictions to effectively treat areas with soft tissue fibrosis (the formation of excess fibrous connective tissue in an organ or tissue in a reparative or reactive process to injury or damage - excessive scar tissue), chronic inflammation or degeneration.
Using ergonomically designed hand-held instruments, IASTM clinicians comb over the skin to find soft tissue problems. Then, the instruments are used with the appropriate amount of pressure to introduce controlled microtrauma to the area. Controlled microtrauma initiates reabsorption of fibrosis (excessive scar tissue) and facilitates healing as adhesions in the soft tissue are broken down, allowing restoration of full function.
IASTM is generally done in conjunction with an exercise, stretching and strengthening program for rehabilitation to help the injured tissues heal.
IASTM is an effective treatment option for a variety of conditions including:
- Medial Epicondylitis (golfer's elbow)
- Lateral Epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Neck Pain
- Plantar Fascitis (foot pain)
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (shoulder pain)
- Patellar Tendinitis (knee pain)
- Tibialis Posterior Tendinitis
- Ankle Pain / Foot Pain / Heel Pain / Achilles Tendinitis
- DeQuervain's Syndrome
- Post-Surgical and Traumatic Scars
- Myofascial Pain and Restrictions
- Musculoskeletal Imbalances
- Chronic Joint Swelling Associated with Sprains/Strains
- Ligament Sprains
- Muscle Strains
- Non-Acute Bursitis
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) / Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Back Pain
- Trigger Finger
- Hip Pain (Replacements)
- IT Band Syndrome
- Shin Splints
- Chronic Ankle Sprains
- Acute Ankle Sprains (Advanced Technique)
- Surgical or Traumatic Scars
Many people have reported increased range of motion (ROM) and reduced pain after the first IASTM treatment. IASTM has been proven successful in reducing scar tissue problems from surgical and traumatic scar tissue and achieving great results with pain control and rejuvenating joint, ligament, tendon and muscle flexibility.
Call us today for more information on IASTM or to set up an appointment.